25 April, 2017
- 2 small beetroot
- 425 grams canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp organic unhulled tahini
- 2 garlic clove crushed (optional)
- 2 pinch ground cumin
- 2 tbsp water
- Freshly squeezed lemon juiceof one lemon
- salt and ground black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (360°F).
2. Wrap the beetroot in foil with a tablespoon of water (this helps the beetroot to steam). Place in a small roasting pan and bake for 30-40 minutes or until tender.
3. Peel the beetroot and roughly chop.
4.Add tahini and lemon juice into your high performance blender. Process for 20 seconds . Add the olive oil, cumin, cayenne pepper, sea salt and garlic (if adding) to whipped tahini and lemon juice. Process for 10 seconds, scrape sides if needed then process for another 20 seconds.
5.Open the can of chickpeas, drain liquid then rinse well with water, then add to the high performance blender and process for 30 secs. Use the tamper to push the chickpeas towards the blades.
6. Add the pepper and process for other 1 min on high, use the tamper as needed. Or process until the mixture is thick and smooth. Add 1 tablespoon of water if there are chickpeas pieces that can’t be processed.
The beetroot hummus can be kept int the fridge for up to 5 days or 3 months in air tight container. They are so easy to make and versatile! You can use them as spread or dips. Perfect for lunch boxes or picnic!