25 August, 2017
Blue Potato Vegan Shepherd’s Pie
Posted in : Dairy Free, Dinner, Gluten Free, Lunch, Processed sugar free, Vegan on by : Delinger
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- ½ cup milk of your choice
- 1½ tbsp extra vigrin olive oil
- ½ small red onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 3 cups mushroom, sliced
- 150g tinned crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup water / salt reduced vegetable stock
- 5 cups tinned lentils, drained, rinsed
- 2 tsp freshly chopped thyme
- 40g soy cheese
- Pinch of sea salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375 °F) and lightly spray a ramekin with oil spray.
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil over medium-high heat. Add the peeled and chopped potato and cook for 10 minutes or until tender.
- Drain and return the potato into the saucepan, smash them hard with a potato smasher, or roughly mash it with a fork. Gradually add the milk and mash until smooth. Add a pinch of sea salt and black pepper if desired. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes or until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the carrot and mushrooms and cook for 4-5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, water (or stock), lentils and thyme and cook for further 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add a pinch of sea salt and black pepper if desired.
- Pour the lentil mixture into the oiled ramekin and pipe the mashed potato evenly over the top. Sprinkle over the grated cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Serve immediately!