17 July, 2015
Clean Eating Vegan Basil and Pine Nut Pesto
Makes about 3 cups
2 cups of Fresh Basil Leaves
3 Tablepoons of Pine Nuts
Sea Salt and Pepper
1 teaspoon of Grated Organic Lemon Zest
1 Tablespoon of Fresh Organic Lemon Juice
½ cup of Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
¼ cup of nutritional yeast – known as Yeast flake in Australia (For a non vegan option, substitute with 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese)
1 clove of garlic (optional)
1. Heat a pan over medium heat for a couple minutes and add the pine nuts. Allow the pine nuts to toast for 30 – 45 seconds and then toss them while they’re in the pan. Let it go for another 30 seconds or so, then toss again until they are golden brown, then remove from pan and let cool.
2. Place the basil, pine nuts, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper into your high performance blender.
3. Start at a low speed and work your way quickly up to high speed. While the blender is running gradually add in the olive oil.
4. Once you have everything combined, transfer the mixture to a bowl and stir in the nutritional yeast or Parmesan cheese.
5. If not used right away, store in an airtight container. This can be refrigerated for 1 week. Or stored in the freezer it can be kept up to 6 months.
Once you’ve tried homemade pesto there is no way you can go back to store-bought ones again!!! It’s full of flavor and freshness with zero chemicals. Pesto is also highly versatile – you can use it as pizza sauce, pasta sauce, salad dressing, dip, sauce with a meat or a vegetable dish, or spread it on a wrap or sandwich. You gotta give it a try!!