11 May, 2017
Vegan Cajun Jambalaya Rice
Posted in : Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Processed sugar free, Rice, Sugar Free, Vegan on by : Delinger
- 60 grams brown rice uncooked and soak in water overnight, drained
- ¾ teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 1 jalapeño seeded and chopped, or you can use bird eye chili if jalapeño is not available
- 5 cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¼ red bell pepper, diced
- 90 grams cauliflowers, cut into florets
- 30 grams green beans, halved
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- ¼ red onion, chopped
- 85 grams tinned crushed tomatoes
- 80 grams tinned red kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- 80 grams tinned butter beans, drained, rinsed
- 350ml salt-reduced vegetable stock
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick fry pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes or until soft and translucent, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and jalapeño cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add the paprika and cayenne pepper and cook for a further 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add the brown rice, capsicum, cauliflower, celery, crushed tomatoes and half of the stock to the pan. Simmer with lids on for 15 minutes or until almost all the liquid has been absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- Add the green beans, kidney beans, butter beans, cherry tomatoes and remaining stock and cook for a further 5-8 minutes until the stock has been absorbed and the rice is tender, stirring occasionally. If the stock is all used and the rice is not ready, just add 60ml of hot water at a time until the rice is cooked.
- Stir through and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- To serve, place the jambalaya rice in a serving bowl. Enjoy!